Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Secret Mommy's new album

I'm really excited to be putting the finishing touches on my newest audio output, The Mall. It's going to be a download only release on my own label, Ache.

If you scroll down just a little bit, you'll see the blog entry I made about a recent one-time-only performance for a symposium called Listen Again. Well, the composition I came up with for that evening ended up being something I was quite proud of. I decided to take the piece back to my lab for a bit of retooling. I edited it a little bit, adding a few new moments here and cutting a few moments there. However, I tried my best to retain a certain loose spontaneity that can only be found on "live albums". I didn't want it to lose all of the performance's spirit among too many heavy, precise edits.

The result is an 8 part piece of music called The Mall. It is made entirely of recordings I made of our culture's greatest cathedral, the mall. I travelled to 3 malls in the lower mainland here in British Columbia, capturing hours of audio ranging from intricate recordings of elevator buttons, clothing racks, and footsteps, to huge ambiences, water fountains, and underground parking lots. I then, chopped it all into little bits and reassembled into 30 minutes of "music".

The official release date is April 5th. You will be able to download it here: acherecords.com . I hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoyed making it!

If you'd like to help me promote this album, please get in touch because, frankly, I am terrible at that aspect of making art (and, come to think of it, life in general).

No comments:

Post a Comment